Skip to main content

LIKE A LOVE STORY by ABDI NAZEMIAN

 


LIKE A LOVE STORY by ABDI NAZEMIAN

This novel follows the points of view of three teenagers in the late 1980s in New York during the AIDS crisis. One is openly gay, the other is also gay and is from Iran and is struggling with his sexuality and the other is a young and beautiful girl with a gay uncle who has AIDS. The story is centred around activism and protests and fighting against the homophobic system and disgusting pharmaceutical companies that sell medicines for people with AIDS at impossible prices. The president, Reagan, didn’t even speak the word AIDS out loud even though it was killing one person every twelve seconds.

Throughout this heartbreaking story, I could feel the author’s hope. There were strong themes of love and friendship that stitched my broken heart together again.

There is still a lot to be done and the final chapter and the author’s note at the end prove that we must continue to educate ourselves and continue to fight for the rights of LGBTQ+ people.

Be more Madonna. Be more Gaga. Be more fabulous!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONJOUR TRISTESSE / A CERTAIN SMILE by FRACOISE SAGAN

BONJOUR TRISTESSE by FRACOISE SAGAN French Literature at its finest. There are actually two novels in this book and Bonjour Tristesse is the first and that is the one I’ll review first. The novella (100 pages) takes place over a summer on the French Riviera. Cecile and her father have rented the villa for two months to escape from the heat of Paris. Her widowed father brings with him his young and beautiful mistress, but then another guest turns up... The star of this book, though, is the setting. The French Riviera. The beach. The glistening ocean. The sailing. The sex. The sun. The wine. The cigarettes. The sadness that only comes with being seventeen and in love, or not in love. I just can’t get over the fact that the author was 18 when she wrote this. A CERTAIN SMILE  by FRACOISE SAGAN Well, well, well, I had no idea that I could love the second novella more than the first. What an exquisite story. I felt like I was reading a French Sally Rooney. It is very much like Conversati...

ANOTHER BROOKLYN by JACQUELINE WOODSON

  ANOTHER BROOKLYN by JACQUELINE WOODSON I read this book in the space of a few hours and as soon as I finished I turned back to the first page again. I didn’t read it all again - just that first page and it worked. It’s a cyclical book. It doesn’t need to be read in any particular order. Memories manifest in any way they want to. This book is a series of memories told from the point of view of August; a teenager growing up in Brooklyn in the 1970s. She states early on in the book that life would have been different if she’d known about jazz, but all she knew of was the top 40 (white artists mostly). And “it never quite figured us out.” I found that one statement to be huge! It’s a 170 page novel, but that statement to me felt bigger than the messages I’ve taken from 1000 page novels. If we can’t see ourselves represented, how can we see ourselves at all? My own white privilege means that this is something I rarely have to think about, but this book helped me to understand how that...

THE EIGHTH LIFE by NINO HARATISCHVILI

THE EIGHTH LIFE by NINO HARATISCHVILI I have been reading this book for a month (since  @scribe_uk  started their read-along) and in that time these characters have become part of my life. I feel like I have lived with their stories for so long that I have become part of their family. This book is the definition of epic. It is 944 pages long (the longest book I’ve ever read) and it spans over 100 years of Georgian history; living under Tsar rule, WWI, The October Revolution, Lenin, Stalin, WWII, all the way up to the fall of the Soviet Union and 2007 political demonstrations. In that time I relearned my intrigue for Soviet history, I fell in love with the Jashi and Eristravi families and I craved chocolate more than ever before. If you haven’t read this then you probably should and if you have read this, please comment with your favourite character(s). I think mine would have to be Christine or Stasia or Kitty. But honestly I loved them all and all their stories. I don’t think...